Ever wondered about the difference between the “size” and “allocated” (the latter is also know as “size on disk”) columns shown in nearly all FolderSizes detail reports?
If so, please check out this article on www.disk-space-manager.com for a discussion of “cluster overhang” and its impact on file systems.
Many of our valued FolderSizes users also leverage the duplicate finding power of Duplicate File Detective – our professional-grade duplicate file management software.
So it is with great pleasure that I announce the release of Duplicate File Detective v3.0. This new version provides a wealth of new features, including Unicode support, support for Windows 7, a greatly enhanced user interface experience, improvements to the integrated file hash calculator tool, support for very long file paths, vastly improved performance, and much more.
With this new release, you can find and remove duplicate files with unparalleled ease and safety.
For a more thorough review, please see What’s New in Duplicate File Detective.
FolderSizes v4.8 has been tested to meet all of the technical requirements to be Compatible with Windows 7 (as well as Vista, XP, and Windows Server 2008/2003).
Microsoft recommends “Compatible with Windows® 7″ applications because they have passed Microsoft-designed tests to help ensure they install readily every time and minimize the number of crashes, hangs, and restarts that you experience. This all helps ensure a compatible and reliable experience with any edition of Windows 7, including 64-bit.
“Compatible with Windows 7″ software:
- Is tested for compatibility and reliability on Windows 7.
- Passed Microsoft designed tests to minimize the possibility of crashes, hangs, and reboots.
- Represents a commitment that the product will continue to work over the life of Windows 7.
- Meets privacy standards set forth by the Anti-Spyware Coalition.
- Installs cleanly and reliably.
- Eliminates unnecessary reboots.
- Ensures compatibility with Windows 7, both 32-bit and 64-bit editions.
FolderSizes v4.8.1 is a maintenance update that provides automatic update checking (with notifications), incremental display of the folder map data visualization during the file system scanning process, as well as a handful of other minor improvements and bug fixes.
Full release notes are available here.
New features include:
- Support for Windows 7
- Improved support for 64-bit Windows operating systems with a new 64-bit version of the FolderSizes shell context menu
- Broader, more scalable, and more resource efficient support for exporting reports as XML
- New support for visualizing allocated disk space (e.g. “size on disk”), which accounts for cluster overhang, compression, etc.
- New ability to search and filter by allocated file system object size
- Numerous performance enhancements, especially in file report detail view sorting
- A new column in search results that shows file system object name length
- New ability to exclude folders from search results
- Improved drill-down from within range-based and categorical file reports
- Many other improvements and minor bug fixes
This release is a free upgrade for any existing FolderSizes v4.x license holder.